A Week Since You Left

The last set of song lyrics that I posted were really upbeat and positive and sappy. In the interest of balance, here is one that leans in the opposite direction. I'm not actually bipolar. It's just poetry. I can write this stuff without actually feeling the emotions the narrator must be feeling. Honest.


It's a week since you left,
And I'm so bereft,
A mangled-up ball of emotion.
I feel like a sham,
And I don't give a damn.
I'm struggling to go through the motions.
 
I can't let you see that I'm falling apart,
But when I go out I don't know what to do.
I can't let you know that you've torn out my heart,
So I try to pretend I can live without you.
 
It's a week since I've slept,
And I'm such a mess,
But I put on a brave face and fake it.
I think about you,
And I know what to do.
It hurts but I just have to take it.
 
So no one can know that I just want to die.
I pretend to believe I can find someone new.
I walk through the park and I stare at the sky.
If you found out you'd hurt me, that might hurt you.
 
For a week you've been gone,
And my life is just done,
Since I have no more use for my future.
I'm deeply obsessed,
And completely distressed,
Because thinking about you is torture.
 
But I relish the hurt, it reminds me of you,
I don't want to forget or get over the pain.
You're my reason to live even though we are through,
And forgetting would mean that I'd lose you again.
 
For a week I'm alone,
And I guess that's the plan,
Even though it's incredibly lonely.
I will learn not to fuss,
And I'll do what I must,
And I'll think about you, and you only.
 
So go, live your life, and forget about me,
I promise I won't let you know of my pain.
I wish you the joy, be content and carefree,
Go, leave me behind, and find true love again.
 

0 comments: